Headquartered in Essen, Germany, TÜV Rheinland Schniering GmbH has been involved in the study and evaluation of roads for over 50 years. Our activities focus on surveying and evaluating road conditions, as well as developing, manufacturing and deploying the high-speed measurement vehicles necessary for this. Our success is due to our highly precise and economical acquisition of information that is critical for road management, and the provision of this information to customers in an ideally usable form. An essential basis for this is our scientific and practical knowledge in the field of construction materials testing, and our decades of experience in condition surveying and damage analysis/assessment. Other contributing factors are the company's own development, the design and production of measuring systems including the necessary hardware and software and, of course, an active professional exchange with our customers.
- The company was founded as a road construction laboratory in Essen, Germany, in 1965.
- A few years later, Alfred Schniering - already CEO at the time - took over what is today TÜV Rheinland Schniering GmbH. The company has since acquired national and international renown in ageing and damage analyses of building materials and highway construction. A need for objective and accurate road condition data, available network-wide, as a basis for systematic road maintenance was recognized at an early stage in professional exchanges with highly committed building authorities.
- In 1980, TÜV Rheinland Schniering GmbH, as it is known today, carried out the first extensive skid resistance measurements in Germany using the Sideway-force Coefficient Routine Investigation Machine in accordance with the Technical Test Regulations for Road Skid Resistance Measurement (TP Griff-StB).
- In 1991 we became the first German engineering firm to acquire high-speed measurement systems for network-wide surveying of all condition parameters.
- Since 1992, our technology has earned us recognition as a market leader in Germany. The ARGUS® multifunctional measuring system developed by us in close coordination with the competent bodies of the German Road and Transportation Research Association (FGSV) has since served as the standard for measurement of road conditions in Germany and other countries.
- In 2007, we developed the first multi-functional ARGUS®-AGIL system for measuring the conditions of cycling lanes, pedestrian paths and rural roads.
- Since 2009, TÜV Rheinland Industrie Service GmbH as part of the TÜV Rheinland Group has been a 100% partner of TÜV Rheinland Schniering GmbH. This allows us to offer numerous other services such as FWD (falling weight deflectometer) and geo-radar measurements, while improving general conditions for placement of international orders.
Our major clients include the German Federal Ministry of Transport, state, county and municipal road construction authorities, as well as the administrations of other European countries such as Switzerland, France, Poland, Austria, Italy and the Czech Republic. Having conducted more than 750,000 km of ARGUS ® measurements and more than 500,000 km of SKM measurements, we have extensive experience in measuring road conditions and are by far the leading service provider in the particularly demanding German market. Our participation in the research association's numerous committees guarantees that our services always comply with the latest findings and bodies of rules, besides providing for active exchanges with regard to new techniques and procedures.
Dipl.-Ing. / Dipl. Wirt.-Ing. Volker Jakobi
Director of TÜV Rheinland Schniering GmbH